Tuesday, February 13, 2018

Reading Notes: The Voyages of Sinbad, Part A

I like how each story in this unit, which Sinbad is describing, gets more ridiculous with each voyage. 

First Voyage - The Island
Sinbad is talking in the first person, which I really like, since it draws me in immediately. I may do more first person stories in the future, since they are very engaging. I also liked how much detail he had while describing objects, animals, places, etc. The vocabulary in this unit was advanced and the story flowed really well!

Second Voyage - Valley of Diamonds
This story was a bit confusing, but I was surprised at the honesty and morality of the merchants. Sinbad describes how one merchant contented himself on simply one diamond, even though he was offered many. What if the merchants were greedy? Would Sinbad have ever been rescued? So many questions! It reminds me of Lord of the Flies, where the kids were trapped on an island and became more savage as the time went on.

Third Voyage - The Giant
This part reminded me of the Pirates of the Caribbean scene where the main characters are about to get roasted and eaten by little creatures. Perhaps I could write a story in which the main characters are the characters from the Pirates of the Caribbean series. There are many conflicts in that movie, including conflicts between ship captains, friends, etc. I could write about one of those, and expand on it in my story.

Fourth Voyage - The Wife
This story was definitely the weirdest, but also very interesting. If one person in a marriage passed away, the spouse HAD to be buried alive. What Sinbad did after his wife died, which was kill the other spouses as they went down, was extremely difficult and out of character for him (in my opinion). I'm glad that he stayed with his family after this one and didn't immediately get bored after!


Source: Part of Sinbad's first voyage.

Bibliography: Andrew Lang's The Voyages of Sinbad, Part A.

No comments:

Post a Comment