Tuesday, February 13, 2018

Learning Challenge: Soonerthon and the #12

Hey everyone! I don't know if you have heard of Soonerthon, but it is a 12 hour dance marathon coming up on March 3rd! Basically, the purpose of Soonerthon is to raise money for our local Children's Miracle Network, and all proceeds to DIRECTLY towards treatment for kids with life-threatening illnesses. At the event, we stand for 12 hours for the kids who can't, while also getting to play with the Miracle Kids, talk to their families, make them all feel very loved, ALL alongside celebrating with your friends! I am very passionate about this event, and my goal this year is to raise $1000; as of right now, I am at $922! My first goal was to raise $500, but once I reached that goal, I changed my goal to $1000. If I reach $1000, I will most likely keep raising my goal until the day of Soonerthon itself. 

This event means so much to the kids, more than we will ever know. I have done an internship at the OKC Children's Hospital a few years ago, and I am currently shadowing a physician there as well. I have seen patients that have gone through so many treatments and surgeries, and it's one of the best feelings in the world when they realize they're done with treatment, or done with doctor's appointments for a long time. Whether you are participating in Soonerthon, raising money for it, or simply raising awareness by talking about it to others, we are all making a difference in these kids' lives. 

The number 12 is incorporated into the event in multiple ways. 12 hours stands for the 12 hour shifts that nurses have to endure. 12 hours stands for the 12 different types of pediatric cancer. The number 12 has many different meanings in this one event, and I would like to learn them all. I am very inspired by Soonerthon and what it stands for, so that is my learning challenge. I want to learn the "why" behind Soonerthon and be able to raise awareness for it in the future, even after the event is over for this year. 

As I mentioned earlier, I really want to be able to raise $1000 for the kids! I would really appreciate any contribution to my donor drive if you all would like to help out! ANTYHING, even $10 helps! Even if you cannot donate, I would appreciate if you could just share my link with anyone you know :) Thank you all for taking the time to read this!

As always, 
#FTK. (For The Kids)

 The top picture is from my freshman year, with the Miracle family we adopted through PCS. The bottom picture depicts how much we raised that year!

This picture is from last year's Soonerthon at the final reveal of how much we all raised!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Akriti! It's awesome that you are so #FTK! Soonerthon is such a huge event on OU's campus, and we have people like you to thank for making others so passionate about the event and the Children's Miracle Network. Raising $1000 FTK is a huge goal, and I hope you met it (or got close!) I still can't believe we raised $1M as a campus. I think that really speaks to our campus' philanthropic service! Keep up the great work!!

    ReplyDelete