Sunday, February 11, 2018

Week 4 Story: Jasmine and the Wonderful Jewel

Young Jasmine had heard of a wealthy prince near her home, but never gave much thought towards it. One day, however, she heard a commotion in the streets below. It was the prince, Aladdin, riding in a carriage, throwing out money, jewels, and food to the poor people surrounding him. Jasmine immediately fell in love. She could not believe her eyes! Before her was the most handsome man she had ever seen, draped in colorful and silky robes.

She longed to meet Aladdin ever since then. She would turn and toss in bed, aching to see him one more time. Aladdin would come to the streets to hand out money, jewels, and food every month, so the next time he came, Jasmine was one of the first people downstairs to greet him. She waited and waited to hear the elephants pulling the carriage and for Aladdin to appear. Finally, she heard the thumping of the elephants and once they got closer, Aladdin stepped out of his carriage and began throwing out loaves of bread, bags of coins, and jewels into the crowd. Jasmine caught one of each, but the thing she wanted most was  she was delighted! However, once Aladdin left, she was sad once again. When would she be able to meet her prince? When would he acknowledge her?

She went back to being anxious and sullen, and wore the necklace she caught from Aladdin everyday. One day, she was missing Aladdin more than usual, and when she took off her necklace, she began stroking it as she daydreamed about meeting her prince. Suddenly, the room filled with pink smoke and a creature emerged from the necklace that Jasmine was holding in her hand! 

The creature was a genie, and she looked so elegant and powerful that Jasmine was paralyzed in fear. The genie looked at Jasmine and spoke. "I am the slave of the necklace, and I shall obey thee in all things." Jasmine only wanted one thing, and that was to meet Aladdin. She then ordered, "Deliver me to Aladdin!" And the genie took her to Aladdin. 

Meanwhile, Aladdin laid in his chambers. He suddenly saw huge puffs of pink smoke rising out of nowhere. When the smoke cleared, he saw the most beautiful woman he had ever seen in his life. She stood in front of him, staring back with the same amount of love. Aladdin could not believe it! Who was this woman, and how did she appear inside his room all alone? He immediately ran to her and caught her in his arms. There they met, there they fell in love together, and there they got married a few months later.

Source: Illustration of Aladdin's and Jasmine's wedding.

Bibliography: Arabian Nights.

Author's Note: This week, I read the Aladdin stories from the Arabian Nights unit. In the original story, Aladdin gets trapped by his uncle in a cave, who left him a ring. Aladdin began rubbing the ring, and a genie appeared who said he will obey him in all things. He asked him to get him out of the cave, and then went home. One day, he saw a beautiful princess, who was the Sultan's daughter, but since he was poor, he would have no way of marrying her. He asked the genie to make him look like a wealthy man and build a castle for him and the princess. Eventually, they got married and they lived happily until Aladdin's uncle came back and realized he was using the genie to make him appear wealthy. The story continues, but for my story I only used that part. I switched it around to where the princess (Jasmine) was in love with Aladdin from afar, and made the necklace the object with the genie in it. I made up the ending, where she gets transported into Aladdin's room and everything. I hope you all liked my version :)

2 comments:

  1. Hi Akriti!
    I really enjoyed your story. I have always loved the story of Aladdin since I was a kid, but I have never read any of the stories. I have only seen the movie. I thought it was really creative how you altered the story to make it your own, and I thought you did a really good job! I think its nearly impossible to mess up such a great, classical story like Aladdin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey again, Akriti! I just looked over your latest story on your blog, “Week 14 Story: A Tale of Two Stories”. I am in the Indian Epics class, so I am excited to be looking over your story to see similarities and differences. I really love that you redid parts of Beowulf. I think that is such an engaging story and I am sure you put in so much work to make it work well.

    ReplyDelete